Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Gaining respect from your horse

Hi all.... this weeks topic is gaining respect. How do you do it. I am having some problems with Joe Joe.. Usually he is pretty good. exept sometimes in the morning and at night. In the morning ,, I am not sure if he is playing or just not listening. when we try to put the halter he tries to bit it and then tries to nip me , most of the time it is just with his lips no teeth. At night for brushing he steps into me (not always but I have be watching for it) he puts his ears back (not really pinned but close) he turns his head toward me and I am afraid he will try to bite, as he has done it before,, When I bring him in he comes at the closed door quick and has his ears pinned and is very pushy with his head.. I an not sure that it's aimed at me or the little mare Dakota. For the last few months I have actually thinking about selling him.. This morning I said it out loud 'Don I am thinking of selling Joey" well as soon as it was out of my mouth I started to cry ,, I don't want to get rid of him. I love him to death. I am not sure how to gain his respect. The other night Don was holding Joe while I brushed him he acted up a bit and then Don pulled the lead down shook it a few times and Joe was fine.. he stood for a long time quietly, when I try it Joe just gets more cranky and fidgety. I will keep working on him and do some more reading. I don't want to give up on him , he is a beautiful and smooth ride. Maybe once the round pen and riding ring is done I will be able to work with him more. Well I guess that's it for now ,, Any one have any respect issues or tips???
Bye for now

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horses will respect you if you show them your the boss. Maybe you need to be more aggressive and make him realize you are bigger than him.. good luck

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.